|Automate payments to your savings.
If you are wanting to buy a home in 2017 then there are some preparation steps you need to do now so you will be ready. Buying a home is the biggest investment you are likely to make in your lifetime and you should be prepared.
- Good Habit #1: Automate payments to your savings for a down payment. For a $200,000 home a typical expected down payment is around 20% which is about $40,000. Now this is more than most everyone plans for when dreaming of a home. But to get started you can set up for a piece of your paycheck to divert into a savings account each month. If you don’t see it you won’t spend it. Now there are other options out there for down payment assistance so contact me if you need details but it doesn’t hurt to start saving.
- Good Habit #2: Get a FREE credit report and keep it clean. Lenders always pull a credit report to see your scoring and make sure you are paying your bills on time. Pay off as many balances as you can and try not to take on any huge debt like a new car, boat or RV to close to buying a home. If you do need to use your credit keep it below 30% of your income.
- Good Habit #3: Living on a budget. Figure out a target price for the home you want to buy and then set up a budget so you can make the payments. By modifying your spending habits early you get used to less disposable income, you save more towards your down payment, or pay down your debt or set up a cushion for new furniture.
- Good Habit #4: Practice DIY. Learning how to fix basic maintenance issues in your home can save you money. Issues such as drywall repair, basic plumbing and electrical shorts can all be handled without professional help. Lowes and Home Depot often have classes for homeowners that you can sign up for and attend. Being handy means being smart.
- Good Habit #5: Be prepared to make an offer. Start by shopping online with one of the many real estate sites so you can get a feel for prices, sizes and condition of homes on the market where you want to live. You’ll want to scope out schools near by, location and any amenities the neighborhood provides (HOA) also. By narrowing down your wish list to a realistic list you can be ready to pounce on the home you want when it hits the market.
So now you can get busy and develop all these good habits right now. Last year went by fast so this year maybe on the same track. Seems the older we get the faster the years go by. Don’t let 2017 pass you by without some good habit changes. Next time we will explore bad home-buying habits to get rid of this year.
For additional events happening in and around Greenville during the month be sure to check out our Facebook page @VictoriaCottlesCorner.
And remember if you, a friend or family member need assistance with selling or buying a home I can help. Referrals and people needing relocation assistance are welcome! Search Single Family homes in Greenville. Search Condos and Townhomes in Greenville.