Fall is finally here! As hot as it was this summer, I didn’t think it would ever arrive. And with fall comes the pumpkin treats. Pumpkin shakes, pumpkin lattes and coffee, pumpkin spice ice cream and well you get the idea. So, in celebration of fall and pumpkin, here is a wonderful South Carolina recipe.
Pumpkin-Sweet Potato Pie with Sugared Pecans
Not a typical pumpkin pie. The filling is smooth and creamy topped with pecans. Can’t get much more southern than this!
Total Time: 20 min prep. 40 min bake plus cooling.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream
Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Top pie with sugared pecans and whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.Nutrition Facts
1 piece: 696 calories, 46g fat (16g saturated fat), 151mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Now if you need to find a pumpkin to make your pie with here are some local pumpkin patches.
- Fisher’s in the Fall – 650 Fisher Road, Greer, SC. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open: October 1 to 31; Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm; closed Sunday; weekdays by appointment only for groups.
- Holy Cross Episcopal Church Pumpkin Patch – 109 W. Trade Street, Simpsonville, SC 29681. Email: email@example.com. Open: Monday – Friday from 11 am to 8 pm; Saturday from 9 am to 8 pm and Sunday from 12 pm to 6 pm. Directions: Located across from Vaughn’s Country Store in downtown Simpsonville, just one block from the Clock Tower. The physical address is 109 W. Trade Street at Southeast Main Street. Take I-385 South to Exit 31 (Highway 417/Laurens Road) and turn left onto Main Street. Follow for approx. 2-3 miles until you reach downtown Simpsonville. The patch will be on your right adjacent to the railroad tracks.
- May-Lan Tree Plantation – 156 Cooley Bridge Road, Pelzer, SC 29669. Phone: 864-243-3092. Fax: 864-243-3065. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open Monday through Friday. Morning Hayride Visits by Appointment Only; Monday thru Friday 2:00 pm to 6:00. Retail sales of pumpkins, etc.; Saturdays 10:00 thru 6:00 with last hayride at 4:30, store open to 6:00 Sunday – Retail sales ONLY 12:00 thru 5:00. Directions: One-half mile off SC Highway 25 on Highway 247.
- Mini Miracles Farm – 708 Old Rutherford Road, Taylors, SC 29687. Email: email@example.com. Open: Sunday-Tuesday: 2 pm – Dark, Wednesday – CLOSED, Thursdays & Friday 1 pm – Dark, Saturday 10 am – Dark. Directions: From Wade Hampton headed towards Greer, past the Taylors post office, turn left at next red light onto Saint Mark road. Follow until come to stop sign. See Flour Haven bakery on right. Turn left at the stop sign onto Highway 290/Locust Hill Road. Pass Greer Greenville Tech college on right. At next red light (see Spinx and dentist office on left. At this red light turn left again see Green barn immediately on left.
- St. Giles Presbyterian Church Pumpkin Patch for Youth Missions – 1021 Hudson Road, Greenville, SC 29615. Phone: 864-244-4887. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open Daily September 30 through October 30; The patch is open seven days a week. Normal hours are daily from 10:30 am until 6:30 pm. Saturday hours are 8:30 am until 6:30 pm and Sunday hours are noon until 6:30 pm. We will have extended hours until 8:30 pm two nights on Friday 10/26 & Saturday 10/27. Directions: See their website for directions. Payment: Cash, Check, and Venmo.
For more information on pumpkin patches in the area check out 2019 Western South Carolina Pumpkin Patches and More.
Victoria Cottle is a Realtor® in the Greenville South Carolina area and if you, a friend or a family member need assistance with selling or buying a home I can help. Referrals and people needing relocation assistance are welcome! Search Single Family homes in Greenville. Search Condos and Townhomes in Greenville.
Please contact Victoria Cottle by email email@example.com or call (864) 275-3953 for your real estate needs in the Upstate of South Carolina!