Since last October 2018, six stores whose main purpose is to sell cannabidiol (CBD) products have popped up seemingly overnight. But is CBD just a bunch of hype or is there some real science behind the benefits?
Cannabidiol or CBD oil is an extract from Marijuana that does not contain any of the THC and will not make you high. It is extracted from the cannabis plant and then diluted with a carrier oil like coconut or hemp seed oil.
It is gaining popularity in the health and wellness world as a healing ointment for common ailments and some scientific studies show it eases symptoms of chronic pain and anxiety.
- Relieves pain. Studies have shown that CBD oil reduces pain by impacting your endocannabinoid receptor activity thus reducing inflammation and interacting with neurotransmitters.
- Could reduce anxiety and depression. CBD oil has shown it may reduce depression and anxiety. CBD oil has been used to safely treat insomnia and anxiety in children with PTSD. Its antidepressant-like effects have also been shown in both human and animal studies. CBD can act on the brain’s receptors for serotonin which regulates mood and social behavior.
- Can alleviate cancer-related symptoms. Studies have shown that CBD may help reduce the side effects of chemotherapy like nausea, pain, and vomiting. There is also a test-tube study that shows CBD induced cell death in human breast cancer cells. Another study showed it slowed down the spread of aggressive breast cancer cells in mice. More research is needed to prove these benefits.
- May reduce acne. Recent scientific studies show CBD oil can help treat acne because it is an anti-inflammatory and tops the overproduction of sebum.
- May have neuroprotective properties. Because CBD acts on the endocannabinoid system and other brain signaling systems, it may help those with neurological disorders. But research is limited.
- Could benefit heart health. A study has shown that CBD oil lowers high blood pressure. The results of one test showed it led the participants to experience a smaller blood pressure increase when participating in a stress test.
- Other potential benefits. CBD may help people with mental disorders, substance abuse, tumors, diabetes, and certain cancers.
Side effects may include diarrhea, fatigue, or changes in appetite and weight. It also interacts negatively with several medications. Always consult your physician before starting any new treatments. Pay attention to medicines that have the “grapefruit warning.”
The bottom line seems to be that CBD oil can have a potentially major role as an alternative for those who are seeking relief from the issues in the bullets above. Research is ongoing. New therapeutic uses for this natural remedy are still to be found. But studies so far are proving the CBD oil may provide a safe and powerful natural treatment for a myriad of health issues.
Victoria Cottle is a Realtor® in the Greenville South Carolina area and if you, a friend or a family member need assistance with selling or buying a home I can help. Referrals and people needing relocation assistance are welcome! Search Single Family homes in Greenville. Search Condos and Townhomes in Greenville.